The Green Party has always been clear that climate change needs to be tackled now, and we’ve done more in the last three years than the past 30 years of government combined.
We know we need to go further and faster on climate action, which is why we’re proposing a plan to kick-start the transition to end the use of fossil fuels in Aotearoa.
Our Clean Energy Plan is the first part of our transformational proposal to end the use of fossil fuels in Aotearoa. It will help to ensure our grandchildren inherit a world where they can not only survive, but thrive.
We’re thinking ahead. We’re leading the way to move Aotearoa towards the clean energy solutions that will power us safely into the future.
Here’s how we’ll do it:
- We’ll upgrade all 63,000 social and community homes with solar panels and batteries
- We’ll introduce grants to halve the price of installing solar in privately-owned homes, and offer grants and low-interest loans for businesses to transition to renewable energy
- We’ll ban new industrial coal boilers within the first 100 days in Government
- We’ll create a $250 million Clean Energy Fund which communities can draw from for local renewable energy projects
- We’ll establish a Clean Energy Industry Training Plan to support thousands of people into jobs
- We’ll simplify planning rules to make it easier to build wind turbines, and
- We’ll end coal use in Aotearoa by 2030.
Read the two page summary on our Clean Energy Plan here.
Read the full policy here.