Climate change is not just the biggest challenge of our time, it’s also a once-in-a-generation opportunity to transform our economy and society for the better.
Tackling climate change means investing in better transport in our major cities. Fast, electric rail lines eliminate pollution and create healthier, congestion-free cities.
It means giving our farmers a head start in the race to supply the world with truly sustainable, high-value food, fibre, and other materials.
It means stabilising the climate to protect the fragile eco-systems that our native birds depend on and regenerating native forests to help cool the planet.
The Green Party will:
- Pass a Zero Carbon Act, putting into law the goal of net zero emissions by 2050.
- Establish an independent Climate Commission to guide government decisions.
- Establish a Kiwi Climate Fund to replace the failed Emissions Trading Scheme. This will put a charge on climate pollution, including from agriculture; provide a guaranteed payment for people who plant trees, and recycle all surplus revenue back to New Zealanders via a dividend payout ($250 per person in 2020).
- Support the planting of 1.2 billion trees over 1.1 million hectares of erosion-prone land and provide $40 million for native forest regeneration.
- Commit to 100 percent renewable electricity by 2030.
- Create a $100 million Green Infrastructure Fund to kick-start private investment in new, clean infrastructure and industries.
- Commit to no new coal mines, fracking or deep-sea oil and gas drilling.
- Divest public investment funds (e.g. the Super Fund and ACC Fund) from companies involved in fossil fuel exploration, mining, and production.
- Invest in multiple new electric rail lines in Auckland and Wellington.
- Fully electrify the rail line between Auckland, Hamilton, and Wellington.
- Set ambitious emission standards for imported vehicles.
- Invest $1 billion for 10 years to create safe cycling in all major cities and towns.
- Create a new humanitarian visa for Pacific peoples displaced by climate change.
This is the blueprint for our climate change work in Government. It is a key part of our Confidence and Supply Agreement, and our Climate Change Minister James Shaw is leading this work. This includes passing the world-leading Zero Carbon Act, and initiating the Climate Change Commission and Green Investment Fund.