The Green Party envisions a democratic Aotearoa New Zealand in which:
- The government asserts its sovereign independence and, in accordance with Te Tiriti o Waitangi, upholds the tino rangitiratanga of Tangata Whenua.
- There is a proportional electoral system that is transparent and fair.
- The country is governed by a Parliament that represents the diversity of Aotearoa New Zealand and recognises the inherent dignity and the equitable and inalienable rights and responsibilities of its people.
- There is active, popular engagement in our democracy and people are able to meaningfully participate in and contribute to government decision-making which impacts on ourselves, our communities, our environment and the generations which will follow us.
- Our democratic processes are robustly defended from malign interference.
- Politicians uphold high ethical standards, are open and accountable, and fulfil their public role in the best interests of New Zealand.
- Aotearoa New Zealand exemplifies transparent, honest, inclusive and consensus-based decision-making