- People of all ages and abilities have easy access to a range of recreational and sporting opportunities.
- Participation in recreation and sport is viewed positively and there is increasing involvement by all New Zealanders regardless of age, gender, ethnicity or ability.
- Recreation and sport assist people in maintaining mental and physical health, active lifestyles and contribute to their social wellbeing.
- The provision of recreational and sporting facilities should be sufficient to meet the diverse needs of local communities and support a range of activities for all age groups, now and into the future.
- Recreation and sport should be accessible to all, and encourage participation by groups whose participation rates are traditionally lower.
- Equity is needed between women's and men's recreation and sport with respect to funding, promotion, participation, and prominence in the media.
- Communities need access to the natural environment and public open space for a range of recreational opportunities, whilst ensuring sensitive ecological habitats are protected.
- Recreation and sport should be provided and promoted in a way that encourages healthy lifestyle choices and behaviours.
- The contribution of volunteers, coaches, officials and administrators should be recognised and supported.
Read the full policy here