To be frank, we are running out of time to address the climate crisis.
Our Future of Transport Plan goes a long way to ensuring in New Zealand we do our bit to keep our planet stable.
We have a once-in-a-generation opportunity to make healthier, vibrant communities a reality while also tackling the climate crisis and rebuilding the economy after the COVID-19 pandemic. By making smart decisions now, we can deliver truly fast, frequent, low-carbon transport alternatives that put our communities on the path to net-zero emissions by 2050.
While the other parties continue locking us into cars, our Future of Transport Plan will power the post-COVID-19 recovery while making Aotearoa a more sustainable and a better place to live. By investing in an infrastructure stimulus package fit for the 21st century, we can put our recovery, climate change and liveability front and centre.
Our Future of Transport Plan includes:
- Large scale investment in fast passenger rail between major cities to sustainably reboot our regional economies
- Accelerating public transport networks within our major cities, including busways, light rail, and rail
- Setting up a $1.5 billion Cycle Superhighway fund to provide safe, separated cycleways with the capacity to be used by thousands of people each day
- Introducing a target date for only zero emission light vehicles to be able to be imported to Aotearoa, and linking this to the date set by the UK - likely to be 2030.
- Incentivising heavy freight to transition to zero emissions vehicles and be 100% powered by renewable energy by 2050
- Setting up a nationwide Go Anywhere transport pass that works on all public transport, and provides access to electric car share, e-bike subscriptions, and e-scooters in the main cities across the country
Reducing the cost of public transport by making it free for people over 65, under 18 and community services holders, by reducing the cost by 50% for students, and by setting up weekly payment limits - so no one pays for more than eight rides a week.
With our Future of Transport Plan, we will provide meaningful work whilst driving Aotearoa towards a sustainable, green, zero carbon future. There has never been a more pivotal time to break our dependency on outdated, polluting cars and instead build cleaner, fairer ways to move around.
Sign on and help us build back better through our Future of Transport Plan
Find out more about our Future of Transport Plan here