Aotearoa can play a leading role creating a connected and compassionate world, where the global community works together to address issues including climate change, human rights, and public health by upholding the international rule of law, and promoting peace and shared responsibility.
The world is going through a period of instability, with the impacts of climate change, COVID-19, war, international inequality, mass displacement, pollution, and biodiversity loss among the challenges. Lack of political resolve to combat these challenges leads to poor outcomes for people and planet.
The Green Party believes that Aotearoa must take an independent and principled position on global affairs, by addressing current and historic global injustices, strengthening international law, and championing disarmament. Aotearoa should lead the world providing international mediation and conflict resolution, and be grounded in principles of environmental protection and restoration, equity, human rights, shared responsibility, and non-violence.
The Green Party will:
- Ensure Aotearoa’s defence forces promote peace, justice, and environmental protection (such as fisheries enforcement) throughout the Pacific and the world.
- Ensure Defence procurement of new ships and planes is focused on what is needed for peacekeeping, disaster relief, and defence of natural resources.
- Promote peaceful conflict resolution as a key contribution on the international stage, and establish a Conflict Prevention Unit.
- Oppose Aotearoa’s participation in the Five Eyes spy network.
- Support Aotearoa to uphold and promote human rights internationally, and continue to support the work of the International Criminal Court and International Court of Justice.
- Implement the UN Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples, and lead by example by honouring te Tiriti o Waitangi.
- Promote and support the principle of self-determination of peoples everywhere, including in West Papua, Western Sahara, and Palestine.
- Increase Official Development Assistance funding and ensure we use recognised best practice for poverty reduction approaches.
- Work with global partners to support the forgiveness of unjust Global South debt, and fair debt relief measures, especially in the aftermath of the COVID-19 crisis.
- Support the integrity of the Antarctic Treaty system, to promote scientific research and peace.