The Green Party of Aotearoa New Zealand works to create a better world for our planet and all of us.
A vote for a local Green or endorsed candidate means a vote for decision making that is representative and inclusive of all communities affected. It means voting for Te Ao Māori to flourish in Aotearoa through the rangatiratanga of mana whenua, and honouring Te Tiriti o Waitangi.
Our candidates are committed to strong, urgent action on climate change and to improving Aotearoa’s resilience. They advocate for the action needed to protect and restore our environment and ensure we can all enjoy clean air and water, and that our land is healthy. Green candidates are ready to create a more connected, compassionate and equal Aotearoa, free from structural biases and discrimination, while meeting people's basic needs - like warm, dry, and affordable housing. They're ready to create a clean and resilient economy that enables all people to thrive into the future.
We stand for:
- Democratic, participatory and inclusive decision-making processes that empower all people to contribute to shaping the systems that affect them, through community engagement enabled by good evidence, co-design, and adequate resourcing.
- Ensuring that both revenues and expenditure are sufficient to ensure that local government organisations can fulfil their critical contributions to environmental, social, cultural and economic wellbeing
- Authentic Tiriti-based decision-making models, including co-governance arrangements and prioritisation strategies designed with mana whenua.
- Building resilience to our changing world, to ensure the long-term wellbeing of the communities and ecosystems that local government serves.
- Advocating for actions by central government that enable and resource local government and communities across Aotearoa to reach our vision.
- Collaborating with private sector organisations, community and voluntary sector organisations, and central government, to develop aligned and coordinated action towards community wellbeing.
Our local government candidates:
- Offer bold, transformative visions that shift the conversations in local government.
- Advocate for solutions grounded in Green Party values, supporting our communities, and long-term thinking.
- Actively listen to local communities, mana whenua, and communities of interest to understand their realities and aspirations.
- Work to build positive relationships with a diverse range of local groups.
- Support strong, healthy and respectful relationships between Tangata Whenua and Tangata Tiriti.
- Celebrate and respect Te Ao Māori, supporting Māori political agency and tikanga in local government.
- Collectively build a culture in local government that is respectful, encouraging, and engaging.
- Encourage active participation in local government and community leadership.