Connecting with and supporting our overseas whānau
The Green Party will ensure all New Zealanders living overseas feel connected to home.
As New Zealanders, we have always prided ourselves on leading on the world stage and expanding our horizons with overseas experiences.
The Green Party understands that Aotearoa is about all its people, wherever in the world they are. Throughout the COVID-19 pandemic, we fought to keep managed isolation free, and were the only party fighting to make sure people living overseas could have their say in our elections.
Our plan will ensure everyone living overseas has a meaningful connection to home, and can continue to have a say in our democracy.
Wherever we are in the world, Aotearoa is a special place that we should all feel connected to. The time is now to show manaakitanga, and take a compassionate approach to all our whānau living overseas.
- Ensure all individuals who whakapapa Māori are eligible for Aotearoa citizenship, regardless of country of residence or birth.
- Lengthen the repayment holiday for overseas student loan borrowers, and abolish border arrests for student loan repayment violations.
- Ensure all citizens can vote, regardless of length of time outside Aotearoa, and lengthen the time away before losing voting eligibility to 10 years for permanent residents.
- Restore the 10-year period for time spent in Aotearoa New Zealand to be eligible for superannuation.
- Pursue reciprocal healthcare, welfare support and visa waiver arrangements with other countries, and widen existing agreements.